Moms are the best! They feed you, wash your clothes, clean up after you, take care of you when you're sick, give you helpful advice (whether you want it or not!) and best of all, hug you, kiss you, and love you unconditionally. Mother's Day is this Sunday, May 12th, 2013. To help you make Mother's Day special this year, we've put together a "Mother's Day" Guide for Bastrop County, complete with Mother's Day events, gift ideas, and more.
First, Mom shouldn't have to cook on Mother's Day, so you'll want to take her out to eat somewhere nice. NOT McDonald's! Or Chuck E Cheese! Or any restaurant with a cartoon mascot! Here are the top picks of Bastrop County restaurants Mom will love...
Top 5 Mother's Day Restaurants
- Cedar's Mediterranean Grill - All Moms get a FREE dessert on Sunday, May 12th! (reservations recommended)
- Comfort Café - Brunch from 11:30am-2:30pm with live music by the Better Halves. The best part - it's by donation only, so you only pay what you can! Proceeds benefit Serenity Star Recovery Resource Center.
- Bastrop Brewhouse - Jazz brunch from 11am-2pm with live music by the Jeff Lofton Trio. (reservations recommended)
- Firewheel Café at the Hyatt Lost Pines - The menu includes breakfast favorites, an elaborate salad bar, omelets made-to-order, slow roasted prime rib, smoked pork loin, lobster macaroni and cheese, decadent desserts, and so much more. $52 for adults, $26 for children ages 6-12, and complimentary for children age 5 and under. Call (512) 308-4860 for details and reservations.
- Hasler Brothers Steak House - Mother's Day celebration and specials from 11am-4pm. Call (512) 321-4701 for reservations.
Next, you'll want to take Mom somewhere fun... or better yet, if she has children still at home, do something with the kids and let Mom enjoy some time by herself or with her friends. For example, you could take the kids to Giggle N Jump for only $5/child on Sunday, May 12th and let Mom be footloose and fancy free. That being said, here's some recommendations of fun things to do for Mother's Day in Bastrop County...
Top 5 Things to Do on Mother's Day
- Wine - Moms like wine. Take her someplace where she can relax with a glass of wine and enjoy the day.
- Lost Pines Wine Fest: Saturday, May 11th, from 12-6pm at the Bastrop Brewhouse. Admission of $25/person includes a souvenir wine tasting glass, tasting tickets, and live music. Click here for tickets.
- Wine Tasting: Saturday, May 11th, 12-5pm at Cripple Creek & Company. There will be a variety of wines to sample from Georgetown Winery, hors d'oeuvres, and wine-a-ritas. Plus, they'll be doing a drawing for a $100 gift certificate! Admission and wine tasting is FREE!
- Cherry Blossoms Spa:
- A Gift For You - 45 minute Facial and a $60 Shopping Spree; $99
- Luxury Spa Escape - Pampering Facial, Hydrating Hand Treatment, Relaxing Massage, Aromatherapy Scalp Massage; $135
- A Year of Love - 75 minute Facial or Massage every month for 1 year; $699 ($900 value)
- Heavenly Hair & Spa:
- Purchase one service and save 10%, purchase two services and save 15% on second service, purchase three services and save 20% on third service. (through 5/11/13)
- Buy one get one 50% off (equal or lessor value) on all hair, skin and nail care products. (through 5/11/13)
- Buy one get one 50% off (equal or lessor value) on all boutique items. And all clearance boutique items are 40% off.
- Spa Django:
- Mommy & Me Pedicures - Enjoying a strawberry float and a 50-minute pedicure for two; $125 (for Mom and 1 child age 17 and under.
Last, you must get Mom a great gift, something she REALLY wants. Make it something that will make her feel pretty and/or appreciated. Unless she specifically asks for one of these things, you must NOT give her: things to cook with, things to clean with, anything that reminds her about her weight, gag gifts, cheap jewelry, or clothes. She can pick out your clothes. You cannot pick out hers. When in doubt, get her a gift certificate. And make sure it's to somewhere awesome like a spa or a women's boutique, because Moms normally don't spend money on themselves.
Top 5 Mother's Day Gifts
- Jewelry - Moms love jewelry. But if you really want to make her feel special, you'll get her REAL jewelry, not the cheap stuff, unless it's really stylish. But since you might not know the difference, here's some places that won't steer you wrong...
- Lark - Handmade jewelry so beautiful it could be called art. My favorite pair of earrings are from Lark. My husband surprised me with them when I won the Top 10 Statesman Social Media Award. I felt beautiful and appreciated, exactly what you want Mom to feel on Mother's Day.
- Ladd's Coins - Surprisingly, they have one of the BEST selections of unique, one-of-a-kind jewelry around. Plus, their prices are excellent!
- Bastrop Goldsmith Silversmith - They actually own their own lapidary company in Brazil and cut loose gems to create gorgeous, handcrafted jewelry that has been worn by dignitaries and celebrities including Madonna, Nicolas Cage, the Queen of Jordan, and many Nashville country music stars. Wow! Yeah, Mom would definitely like that!
- Bastrop Bling Company - While the jewels might not be real, the jewelry is very stylish and affordable. Plus, owner, Tracy Stamper, makes most of the jewelry herself and can match most any outfit. Buy Mom some "bling" to show her you care.
Flowers - There are a lot of really great options for flowers in Bastrop County, but nothing beats Brenda Abbott Floral Design. I'm not usually the type of girl who likes flowers for Mother's Day, but Brenda Abbott's creations are so spectacular, that even I want one.
Sweets - Yes, most Moms are concerned about their weight. That doesn't mean they don't like sweets. In fact, giving them sweets for Mother's Day tells them that you think they're beautiful just the size they are!
- Sugar Shack - Homemade fudge, hand dipped chocolate covered strawberries, crème filled truffles, peppermint bark, and so much more!
- Simply Sweet Bastrop - Yummy cupcakes in a variety of flavors, including snickerdoodle, strawberry, vanilla, chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, banana, key lime, root beer float, vanilla cheesecake, chocolate cheesecake, and dulce de leche cheesecake.
- Cuppy Cakes - Cupcakes and cake balls... delicious! Get 1 dozen chocolate covered strawberry cake balls for just $15.
Specialty Gifts - There's sooo many really neat shops and boutiques in Bastrop County that there's no way I could name them all (although I am working on a Bastrop County Shopping Guide!), so here's just a few of my favorites...
- The Outdoor Marketplace - Mothers who stop by on Sunday, May 12th, get a FREE gift!
- Tejas Buds - Organic plants and trees, garden décor, home décor, jewelry, and more. Everything is 20% OFF through Mother's Day.
- Veranda - Cultural gifts, art, and jewelry. Everything in the store is 25% OFF through Mother's Day.
- Lost Pines Art Bazaar - Persian culture meets Texas Charm! Persian rugs, art, home décor, Ten Thousand Villages gifts, and more. Plus, the store itself is gorgeous on the inside!
- The Owl Wine Bar & Home Goods Store - Wine and accessories, furniture, home décor, and vintage home goods. Very cool store!
- Miss Vickie's Emproium - Ice cream, tea, coffee, gifts, 1930's memorabilia, and more. One of the neatest little stores in Smithville!
Gift Certificates - Like I said before, Moms don't usually spend money on themselves, so a gift certificate gives her free rein to treat herself to something nice. Just make sure you don't confuse a gift certificate with a coupon. Coupons are NOT an appropriate Mother's Day gift, just in case you didn't already know.